Progress Report

I’m not sure how I feel about the mock-up I made for tonight.  I don’t dislike it, but it’s not especially mind-blowing.  It’s all very simple: an accordion book with hand-drawn design elements and hand-written text (yeah, it sucks, but I don’t have access to InDesign).  I found some paper I liked for the end pieces/”covers”.  When it came time to add the copper wire as I had intended, I couldn’t really figure out how to make it work.  The first problem comes from doing a soft form book; I guess it could work with perfect-bound, but an accordion doesn’t lend itself well to having bulky, somewhat heavy wire on it.  I also haven’t really worked with wire before, so it took me a minute to get it shaped the way I wanted it.  And then it occurred to me that I’m not even sure the best way to attach the wire if I can somehow get it to work with the book form.  Hot glue seems ugly and bulky, but I doubt regular glue will hold for very long. 

Overall, I might have to readjust my design ideas and end up with a much simpler book than I had intended.  I’m okay with this, but it doesn’t really make the book very special/exciting/original.  Hand-writing the text of the story is also going to be a pain in the ass; I might end up typing it after all and seeing what I’m capable of with a.) no InDesign and b.) no printer that will work for anything beyond 8.5 x 11 paper. 

I guess there’s still hope for the wire, but I don’t know that I could incorporate a whole lot of it without the book just looking like a mess.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: