For this assignment, the ideas didn’t start flowing immediately like they did for the LOST project. But once I thought of one technique, I was hooked. Or stuck, depending on your perspective.
The main idea was something I did not feel was appreciated enough when I tried it in Experimental Forms, mostly because I gave my presentation last out of about 30 people and I know for a fact that Steve didn’t understand it. This is probably a reflection on me, so I’ll try to take care in explaining it now.
What I did was a reverse erasure. I took the first stanza of “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening” by Robert Frost and wrote a story around it. And not just a story, but a recap of Stephen Hawking’s “A Brief History of Time.” I managed to discuss each chapter in one page and made sure to include one line of Frost’s poem in each section. I then, went through and erased all the words I had just written but for the planted line. But I made the erasure a little opaque so the “original” text could be seen. I understand why it’s confusing, as evident by the fact that after I gave my explanation, Steve said “You know what you could do? You could do a reverse erasure.” I don’t think 10:45 on a Monday night was the best time to introduce the world to my new technique.
So now that I had the content for FOUND, I needed to find a delivery method. Unlike last week’s assignment, when the book I chose was mostly for reasons of form (the Turkish fold becoming a game book), I decided the best method of delivery for this content was something that just didn’t get in the way. Because of this, I decided on the pamphlet stitch method – as it is the least intrusive of the methods we learned in class – but with a caveat. Because I enjoy being different (like using the two page Turkish fold, for example).
I decided to take the pamphlet stitched book and make a hard cover case around it, turn-ins and pastedowns and all. It wasn’t too difficult to figure out how to do this and coordinate all my efforts, but I did realize I have a lot to learn about this method.
First of all, the waxed thread I used was much thicker than the stuff we used in class. When in the needle, it barely fit through the holes that the thread from class easily fit through several times. So my holes are bigger. Then once the thing was all completed and ready to go, the pastedown either kept the book open when I tried to close it or made it difficult to open. I will need to learn more about this before attempting it again. I thought my detailed studying of Dr. Suess books would have been enough. Oh well.