First, let me take a moment of silence for all the ideas that didn’t make it. When I first saw the Turkish Fold technique, I thought “That would be a great idea for a map! A treasure map, a real map, whatever.” When given the assignment of making a book with the theme of “Lost,” I figured a map was a great idea. But I wanted to map out the island on the TV Show, LOST. This seemed to be a little too aspiracious for someone who is only a casual fan of the show. And the time spent divided by satisfaction variable (T/S) was significantly low for this project. So I immediately scrapped it. Next was the idea of making a flowing river on a snake fold book and taping the two ends together so that it never ended. On the 12 pages, one word each would spell out “If I follow the river I will make it out of here.” Or “I will make it out of here if I follow the river.” The point being that there would be no end or beginning and the reader would be lost. But it was one gimmick and seemed like a cop out, though I could have banged that out in an hour.
Also, if the Ravens had lost, I would have continued to write my “Raven 2013” parody poem, but with more of a “Casey at the Bat” theme. Instead, they won and I had it published in Baltimore Fishbowl. Which was much better, although it did add a project to my table.
So I decided to explore the idea of the Turkish Fold a little further. I couldn’t shake the idea of a map, but once I started to think about my two core values I want to make sure to stay true to in this class, content and formalism, I had an idea. The map could be a maze that the reader would have to navigate his or her way through. This was brought on by the concept that the Turkish Fold just feels like a puzzle in and of itself. But I also wanted to add another page to this book to make it more like a book. So I came up with another two activities and made another page.
My marquee moment of clarity came when I came up with the concept in its entirety. This was a monthly game mailer called the “Turkey Jerky Monthly” which is something I could picture either making for my nephews or better yet, receiving from my nephews. They would also send this out to all their relatives in the book-making world inside my head. I started making the project with them in mind, at times thinking “What would a 7-year old Reese do here?” At one point, I actually recut something because though this would likely be up to my standards, I didn’t think it would be up to his. Apparently in the world inside my head, my nephew has OCD. Sorry, buddy.
As the process developed, two things did not go according to plan. First, this in general took longer than I thought. The part that took the longest was cutting out the – well, cutouts – on the cover. Because I had used my mom’s paints to paint the three covers and she had already left at this point, I could not afford to screw this up. Also, I didn’t know how to work my exacto knife. Second was the painting of the cover. I was just going to use my own spray paint, but my mom was down for the week to paint my daughter’s room, so I used some of her stuff (acrylic, I think). Upon painting the back of them, they started to bow up. A lot. Thankfully my mom was still there at this point and recommended I dry them with a hair dryer, though with no promises. They started flattening out as if I was watching a time-lapse video of an orange molding over. Thankfully, there were no major setbacks. I was also pretty impressed with how much time I saved once I knew everything I had to do and in what order. Yay, me.