Lost and Found

Once I had come with the idea for the first book, the lost book became fairly straightforward. I needed only to find the type of encryption I needed and then to use a form of book I could easily rip a page out of. The found book was a little more difficult. I knew, after class, what I wanted to do for the book, but I didn’t want to use the same type of binding. Out of the three accordion based books we made, I had trouble deciding on which I wanted to use. Eventually, because I knew how I was going to use images, I decided to use the tunnel book. It made sense because it has, by design, an element of hiding and looking through it in a particular way to find the content.

 

I really liked the idea of presenting images rather than text for the found book. I especially like using portraits, because they are concrete and relatable while also being entirely vague. They ask the “reader” to make assumptions about the people without providing any evidence that the reader’s interpretation is correct, or even reasonable. Meaning, then, becomes entirely based upon the reader. Of course, for this particular project, my lost book informs the found.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: